06 May 2011

birthday week

Img_2828_2
I am a sucker for traditions. Christmas? Watch White Christmas Thanksgiving Night, tree up next day. Valentine's Day? Lobster dinner at home, made by Husband Dahling, dessert by me. Memorial Day? Visit graves of grandparents & greats, barbecue with family, swimming. St. Patrick's Day? Watch Darby O'Gill and the Little People, bubble & squeak, Irish soda bread.  Birthdays? My absolute favorite tradition of the year, Christmas notwithstanding.

Husband and I started Birthday Week when we got married. An entire week to celebrate the start of one's life. An entire week during which the birthday individual, in this case me, calls all the shots... favorite dinners for the week, favorite restaurants (thank heaven for birthday gifts from all my favorites that magically make it to my door just in time), full control of remote, which movies to be watched etc. etc. This ultimate week of pampering also comes with a list of breaks too... no dishes, no putting young man down for the night, no worrying excessively about housework.

This year my birthday week came with flowers, chocolate macademia nut masterpieces from Costco favorite Thai spring rolls with Tom Ka Ghai (made by my dashing Husband) and an early lobster fest from my parents. (Can anyone say garlic cheese rolls?) Yep. I am aware. I am slightly spoiled. And none too soon. It was nice to take a break from some things that have been weighing heavily on my mind as I turned 25 for the tenth time. 

But thank you, everyone, family and friends for all the birthday wishes this year. I feel more loved than you ever will know. There. Enough sappiness for one post. The end.

* You may notice that the hair is slightly (12 inches) shorter than in recent photos. To go with my birthday week, and the warming trend that has finally hit our neck of the woods, my sister and I donated our hair again to Locks of Love. Here's more of where this tradition started.

Posted via email from SLC Luangrath's posterous

No comments: