29 April 2011

Spike Jonze Presents: Lil Buck and Yo-Yo Ma

I am a cellist. My life would not be my life if I weren't. I love the range. I love the mellowness (is that a word?) of tone... the dark, warm color of it... the softness and the roughness possible just with the change of a bow stroke. I think it would be safe to say that my cello was my first love. I am convinced that had I not become a graphic designer, I would have aimed for professional cellist as my job title. And now that my graphic design-ity has tapered off some (thank you economy), I have gone back to teaching cello lessons. Back to the first love. Back to the joy of music.

I just caught wind of this clip of one of my heroes, Yo Yo Ma, teaming up with this amazing dancer, Lil Buck of Los Angeles. Poetry of motion mixed with poetry of song in one of my favorite pieces... the Swan by Saint-Seans.

Love this.

Posted via email from rumpusroom

1 comment:

Melissa Luangrath said...

Disclaimer... there were parts of the dance where I must admit to some giggles. Sorry Lil Buck... I liked Yo Yo Ma better.